I’ve always loved experimenting in the kitchen, even before I knew what I was actually doing.
My kindergarten teacher taught our class how to make orange cranberry relish à la the recipe on the back of the cranberry bag, and it has been my Thanksgiving specialty ever since. (So—disclaimer—this is not an original recipe. We have to thank the Ocean Spray marketing team from 1992).
With three ingredients and one step, it couldn't be easier. And the unexpected part? The entire orange goes in, including the peel. But with a touch of sugar, the sweetness balances any potential bitterness. It beats any store-bought cranberry sauce out there and will elevate your turkey. Don’t overthink your Thanksgiving. Sometimes the simplest things are the best.
Food La La Recipe: Orange Cranberry Relish
- 1, 12 oz bag organic cranberries (about 3 cups), rinsed
- 2 organic (WHY? #1) oranges, quartered and seeds removed
- ¾ cup sugar
- Place all ingredients in a food processor and pulse to desired consistency.
Psst! A few recipe notes:
- WHY? #1: Anytime you’re using the peel of a fruit (or vegetable) be sure to buy organic because a lot of the pesticides get absorbed by the peel.
- Make ahead and store in the refrigerator in a glass jar. Will keep for about a month.
- This is fantastic on leftover turkey sandwiches.