Dessert doesn’t have to be bad for you. Instead, get creative and find a new way to incorporate something healthy. If I need something sweet to satisfy me after dinner, I reach for one of these superfood chocolates.
Milk chocolate contains extra sugar and added milk fat and white chocolate contains no cocoa solids at all, just cocoa butter, milk, and sugar. But dark chocolate with over 70% cocoa has less sugar and is full of antioxidants, which boost brain function and heart health.
For added texture, I top this snappy chocolate with chewy goji berries, popping chia seeds, and crunchy toasted coconut. This is a dynamic recipe. Play with the ingredients you have on hand: toasted nuts, dried berries, and seeds. Just don’t omit the secret ingredient: Sea salt.
Click play to watch me make this recipe LIVE with Brit+Co!
Food La La Recipe: Superfood Chocolates
Time: 20 minutes active + 20 minutes freezer
- 10 oz dark chocolate chips
- Chia seeds
- Goji berries
- Pumpkin seeds
- Dried apricots, quartered
- Freeze dried raspberry
- Coconut, toasted
- Sea salt
- Fill a small pot halfway with water and simmer.
- Place the chocolate chips in a heatproof bowl, and rest bowl on top of pot to create a double boiler (ensure no water or steam gets into chocolate).
- Gently stir chocolate until it’s completely melted.
- Remove bowl from double boiler.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Use a spoon to drop quarter size amounts of chocolate onto parchment paper. (You may also drop chocolate into silicone candy molds if you want shaped chocolates.)
- Rap pan on counter to spread and even the surface of each chocolate round.
- Decorate the tops of each with a variety of toppings.
- Add a pinch of sea salt to each.
- Place pan in freezer and freeze until hard (minimum 20 minutes). Remove chocolates and serve immediately.
Psst! A few recipe notes:
Note: May be stored in airtight container in freezer.