Mimosa season is upon us. But why wait in line for brunch and bottomless mimosas (with undesirable juice-to-champagne ratios) when you can recreate your own mimosa bar at home? Give your traditional mimosa bar some oomph with a few fun, unexpected twists: flower ice cubes, fruit peel cut-outs, berry skewers, unicorns, and blood orange!
Flower ice cubes:
- Large silicone square-shaped ice molds
- Assorted flowers (baby sweetheart roses, large roses etc.)
- Trim stem away from flower at the head of the bud.
- Fill ice mold with water, then gently rest one large rose, or several small sweetheart roses in each slot. The roses should be sticking out of the water.
- Freeze until solid.
- Use flower ice cubes to decorate champagne bucket.
Fruit peel cut outs:
- Assorted citrus (lemon, grapefruit, orange)
- Mini cookie cutters
- Cut citrus into quarters and remove the fruit.
- Punch cookie cutter into the white pith side (not the outer skin side).
- Using a knife, cut a tiny slit halfway through the shape—from top to bottom—so it can rest on the cocktail glass.
- If the shape is thick due to excess pith, just slice it away with a knife.
- Assorted cocktail picks
- Assorted fruit (blueberries, raspberries, small strawberries)
- Trim skewer to 3” in length.
- Gently thread fruit onto skewer.
- Rest skewer on top of glass.
Unicorn Sugared Rim:
- Apple slicer
- Colored sugar
- Lime wedge
- Place apple slicer onto a plate and fill each compartment with a different color sugar. Gently lift apple slicer up to reveal a wheel of color.
- Run the lime wedge around the edge of your glass and dip into the sugar.
- Do not twist the glass. Rather, use a spoon or knife to press the sugar around the edge. Tap off excess sugar.
Blood Orange Mimosa:
Serves: 4-6 mimosas
Ingredients (all ingredients should be chilled):
- 1 bottle champagne
- 1 cup fresh squeezed blood orange juice (about 4 blood oranges)
- 2 tablespoons Grand Marnier
- Blood orange, sliced for garnish
- Combine orange juice and Grand Marnier in a shaker, then divide evenly among 4-6 flutes.
- Top with champagne.
- Garnish with blood orange slice and serve immediately.